(NC)-According to the Canadian Automobile Association, winter weather presents the greatest challenge to your car and its engine. Prepare for winter by giving your car a complete checkup in the fall. Among the items to check are:
1. Antifreeze/Coolant level and ratio. If there is too much water and not enough antifreeze in the system, it can freeze, expand and crack key engine components. Before temperatures plummet, top off your cooling system with a ready-to-use formula, like Prestone Pre-mixed LongLife Antifreeze/Coolant.
2. Fuel system. Dirty fuel injectors can cause hesitation and performance problems – issues that can be magnified in cold weather. Adding a specially formulated fuel additive is a simple, effective and economical way to help keep your car running at optimal levels between regular tune-ups. Use a fuel additive formula that is specially designed for winter use, such as Prestone Cold Start Fuel System Antifreeze and Cleaner.
3. Spark Plugs. Make sure these parts are functioning properly, and if they are worn, replace with premium spark plugs. For example, Autolite XP Xtreme Performance Spark Plugs offer better overall ignitability, durability and longer life.
4. Oil. Have the oil changed according to the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendation, usually every 5,000 kms or so. For less wear and tear on the engine, drivers in cold climates should use winter weight oils.
5. Oil and Air Filters. Generally, oil filters should be replaced when the oil is changed and air filters are replaced every 20,000 kms, but drivers should check owners’ manuals for the proper intervals, and as good practice, check their air filter when they change their oil filter. Consider using products that will keep engines protected during cold start-ups, such as FRAM Tough Guard Oil and Air Filters.
6. Washer Fluid Levels. Be prepared for cold temperatures. Be sure to always have extra washer fluid for topping up when you’re on the road. Try Prestone Windshield Heat De-Icer Additive for an added winter freeze protection boost.
7. Windows and Wiper Blades. Get on the road faster in the morning with new Prestone Windshield De-Icer For Windows and Wipers. Simply spray icy wipers and windshield to help melt frost and ice. This product also helps reduce dangerous refreeze on your windshield.
– News Canada