Smoke proves to be from wires
Buried, unprotected electrical wires proved to be the culprit Friday as the Prince George Fire Rescue’s Hazardous Materials personnel were called into action.
Just before 1 p.m. a pedestrian reported noxious smelling smoke and a bubbling sound coming from a grate in the sidewalk on Seventh Avenue between Victoria and Brunswick streets. It was coming from an area around a planted tree.
The hazardous materials crew was called in.
As they excavated with shovels beneath the sidewalk grate, unprotected live electrical wires were located in the soil. All utilities had been previously contacted to ensure there were no utility lines nearby. This appeared to be an improperly installed private fixture for decorative lighting.
A city utilities electrician attended the scene and disconnected the electrical feed to the uncovered wires. It was determined that electrical arcing in the moist soil was the cause of the smoke and bubbling sound.