Cullen slams PM on pipeline
Nathan Cullen says Prime Minister Stephen Harper has “doubled down” on the Northern Gateway pipeline proposal.
The NDP house leader said he doesn’t know what will happen should the Joint Review Panel reject the pipeline plan. Earlier this year Ottawa took authority for final approval of the pipeline out of the hands of the panel and gave it to cabinet.
“Harper has made explicit commitments to the Chinese,” he said to media after presenting at the Joint Review Panel hearing in Prince George Monday. “He’s painted himself into a very difficult corner. This has been such a rigged process from the Harper government.”
Cullen said he feels Harper is hoping the Joint Review Panel approves the project so he won’t have to deal with possibly overruling it.
“He’s doubled down. He’s supposed to be a good strategist, but the minds of British Columbians have changed and not in a positive way.”
Cullen said it’s “crazy” that Enbridge doesn’t have to respond to direct questions about spill response, saying the “elephant in the room” is the fact that the panel doesn’t have the authority to reject the project and the company doesn’t have to answer tough questions.