Take a hike for hospice.
On Sunday, June 23 Prince George will raise awareness for hospice palliative care with 18 other communities throughout the province, by holding “Hike for Hospice.”
This is the second year the Prince George Hospice Society has sponsored this fundraising event to support palliative care in the province. The hike starts at the Prince George Family YMCA and participants can do either a five or 10-kilometer hike or bicycle. Check-in is at 11 a.m. and the hike starts at noon.
“This event is designed to raise the collective profile of hospice organizations throughout the province and help us speak with one voice on behalf of hospice palliative care in B.C.,” said Jean Cameron, provincial coordinator. “Our goal is to build upon each year’s success until it becomes a national event.”
Prince George was instrumental in making “Hike for Hospice” a provincial event, said Cameron, and for that reason she’s hoping the community will turn out and support them.
The Prince George Hospice Society, which has been around for 15 years, raises 52 per cent of its operating costs at the local level, through city grants, bingos, United Way donations and fundraising events. The other 48 per cent is funded by the Northern Health Authority.
There is a $10 registration fee for the hike and participants will receive a free “Take A Hike” t-shirt. Participants are encouraged to register before June 15.