Kelly Road Secondary School was closed Thursday, while RCMP investigated a bomb threat made against the school.
Police received a 911 call at 7:19 a.m., Thursday, that a student was coming to school with a bomb. The caller, a young male, said he overheard a conversation outside the school on Wednesday about the attack.
The name the caller provided to the 911 operator has since proven false.
“Because of the time of the call, we were able to shut down the school and reroute students to another location,” RCMP spokesperson Const. Lesley Dix said. “Students were sent home. And students on school buses from out of town were rerouted to Heather Park Middle School, were they were told the school had been closed for the day.”
Public safety is the first priority for police, Dix added.
Kelly Road School, located on Handlen Road in the Hart area, serves approximately 1,100 students.
Emergency services were on scene at the school on standby mode.
The Prince George major crimes unit is following up with an investigation, starting with a review of the 911 call.
“We are reviewing the information that was given to us,” Dix said.
As of press time, RCMP were conducting a full sweep of the school to ensure there is no danger for students to return to classes.
Prince George School District superintendent Dick Chambers was unavailable for comment as of press time.